Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Credit Card Security
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Credit Card Security

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
falconman

On The Road!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/14 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently noticed a suspicious credit card charge on my Master Card for $375.00 from an online merchant. This charge came one day after using the card at the Loves gas station in Buckeye, AZ. Follow up with the merchant and my card issuer confirmed a fraudulent transaction. So, how does one protect themselves at these places?

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/14 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have our card(s) set up with alerts...email and text messages come to us if any charges are made anywhere by anyone (even us) for over $50.

You can set the amount that will trigger the message alerts. If we didn't make the charge we call immediately.

The text messages even link the phone and automatically dial the bank fraud dept. so we can report and challenge.

I charge something and almost immediately my phone alerts me. If I made the charge, no problem. I just delete the message.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

MFinCA

San Francisco Bay Area, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/14 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't. All you can do is report the fraudulent charge as soon as possible-which you did. All of my online purchases are done with my Amex card--they have a standard policy of reversing fraud charges without hassle and have so for years.

The banks and credit card companies wanted to make it easy for us to spend our money and not have to process checks. The downside to that is that we are subject to fraud from determined nefarious individuals.

Or you can just pay cash.

MFinCA
2004 Homestead Settler 255RS
1999 Chevrolet Suburban 2500

kgarrett9999

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/14 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get a text and an email for any transaction over $20 which is the minimum $ amount that the card issuer allows for alerts. I have had 3 separate incidents with debit/credit cards and my bank account (ACH)over the past year, so I simply watch it closely and dispute anything that I don't recognize.

OpenRangePullen_Ford

Fort Worth, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/14 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I check my online statement everyday.

2013 Ford F-250 Fx4 Lariat 6.7L PowerStroke
2013 Open Range Roamer 395BHS Anniversary Edt.w/3 A/C's
Onan QG5500LP Genorator
Splendide 2100XC
2014 Kawasaki Ninja300
2011 Honda Accord EX-L/Nav V6
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2010.5 SeaRay 250SLX w/MerCruiser 8.2, 380HP

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/14 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm guessing that you didn't use the card to pay at the pump at Loves. Once you hand your card to a clerk, waitress, etc., it only takes a dishonest one a second to swipe it into a small concealed device, often attached to a smart phone.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/14 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fraudulent credit card activity in the U.S. should begin to fall off in the 2nd half of 2014 and definitely in 2015 as credit card issuers and merchants switch over to use of credit cards with an embedded security chip.

One of my credit cards now has the security chip in it. Yesterday was my very first use of it at a merchant (Walmart) who had the new readers at checkout required for the security chipped cards.

As I understand it, Europe has had these type credit cards in place for quite some time. Relief is on it's way for us folks here in the U.S. ... and it's about time.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/14 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two banks and two debit cards. both were used in a foreign country on the same day and the same minute. they went through pay pal and I no longer use pay pal as a method of payment. You just have to look at your bank or credit card account every day and the bank will reimburse you for any charges not made by you. each bank has their own way of handling the refund so contact them immediately after you find a charge. One of my banks refunded right away the other I had to write a letter to get them to refund.

2oldman

Quincy WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/14 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

We have our card(s) set up with alerts...email and text messages come to us if any charges are made anywhere by anyone (even us) for over $50.
This is a really good idea. You can't stop the fraud, but you sure can catch it in almost-real time.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/14 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fraud may not have even happened at that Love's fuel station. Sometimes the crooks hold on to the numbers, or sell them. Unfortunately the credit card companies won't tell us where it occurred. Only that it did occur. Whenever we travel we tell them where we are going and put limits on the card. It is magic, they follow us along the route.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Credit Card Security
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues