Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Scary things encountered
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Scary things encountered

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/14 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One night back when we were pulling a Travel trailer, we awoke to the trailer shaking violently, dishes fall out of the cupboards and all. Grabbing a flash light and running out side, I come face to face with the largest range cow I've ever seen, simply scratching her neck on our spare tire. We've been real careful about camping on open range land since then.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Finally Time

Western Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/14 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Early in May I just bought my new trailer in Topeka and was going back to California. In south western Kansas high gusty winds drove me off the highway. I found a nearby State Park and discovered I was one of only two trailers in the entire park. The whole day and evening I never saw anyone near the other trailer. To quote an opening line "it was a dark and stormy night" and around 3 am I woke to what sounded like a bunch of barefoot leprechauns bowling on my roof. I looked over at the dog and she had her hair up and was staring at the roof. I peeked out the window but all I could see was rain and lightening flashes. I went back to bed staring at the ceiling and wondering about that "deserted" trailer up the hill. The noises stopped after about a half hour. I was too scared to go out and take a look until daylight. I looked around my site and couldn't see anything in the wet dirt, but there was mud on the rungs of my ladder. I climbed the ladder and looked over the roof...muddy raccoon prints all over the place.

'13 Winnebago Vista 27N, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Teamfour

Sterling, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/14 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were camping in a PU at Land Between the Lakes in the early 1980s. I heard some pattering of little feet behind me as I came back from the restroom. Upon turning around I saw two of the biggest skunks ever following me. I started running and they chased me around the PU three times before my wife opened the door and I dove in. I still laugh about that night.

Lee and Anne

2011 Ford F150 Supercrew, Eco Boost, Max Tow 3.73 7,350 GVWR, 16,900 GCWR, 11,300 Tow Capacity
2014 Forest River Salem 282RK, 7500 loaded weight
Equal-i-zer
Days Camped in 2014 - 36

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/14 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure it was a cow and not Bigfoot attacking your RV?

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/14 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago while on a camping trip in the Boundary Waters, I woke up one morning to screams and shouts from my fellow campers. I got out of my tent just as a 6' bear lumbered right past me. Our food packs were hung 15' up in the air between two trees about ten feet apart at one end of the camp. The bear and his friend climbed up the adjoining trees and reached over and effortlessly disemboweled the packs with one swipe of their paws, spilling the contents onto the ground. Then they climbed back down and leisurely ate their fill, oblivious to us as we watched. We were mesmerized. When they were done they walked right between us out of the camp and back to the woods. We had to go home early.

Miles

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/14 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Son of Norway wrote:

Years ago while on a camping trip in the Boundary Waters, I woke up one morning to screams and shouts from my fellow campers. I got out of my tent just as a 6' bear lumbered right past me. Our food packs were hung 15' up in the air between two trees about ten feet apart at one end of the camp. The bear and his friend climbed up the adjoining trees and reached over and effortlessly disemboweled the packs with one swipe of their paws, spilling the contents onto the ground. Then they climbed back down and leisurely ate their fill, oblivious to us as we watched. We were mesmerized. When they were done they walked right between us out of the camp and back to the woods. We had to go home early.

Miles

No doubt it was Yogi and Booboo on vacation

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

rode2nowhere

southern indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/14 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bout 20 years ago was tent camping in a state campground, was with 2 young daughters who were sleeping, I heard footsteps while laying in the tent, then I heard a noise like someone was urinating next to the tent, all I had was a hand axe and it was in my hand for anyone who touched that tent. Kinda rattled me.

BobR

Aurora, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/14 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was early spring and we were on our way back from Florida. Stopped at a state park in Indiana and cooked on the Weber. Accidentally burnt bread I was trying to toast. Put it on the side to throw out after dinner. When I went to throw it out, there was no bread but a skunk staring at me. I ran into the motorhome and he ran underneath it. I stayed in all night and hoped he wouldn't spray and stink things up on our new unit. All turned OK but had a few tense minutes.

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/14 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boondocking, at dusk we heard full automatic weapon fire (one was an AK47 with its distinct sound.) The shooters were nearby, just the other side of a small stand of pines. The shooting continued for about half an hour.

The next morning we walked over to the spot, and found brass everywhere, shot up trash, broken glass, shredded cans, etc. Lots of beer cans. (oh boy! Automatic weapons and alcohol. Always a good combination.)

No cell phone coverage, so we drove a few miles to call the local sheriff. A deputy eventually came out, took photos, our statements, and collected some of the brass.

Never heard any results of the investigation. Probably wasn't one.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/14 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Are you sure it was a cow and not Bigfoot attacking your RV?

Unless Big Foot looks like a Polled Hertford

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Scary things encountered
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS