Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RV life expectancy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV life expectancy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
karmi

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I realize there are infinite variables, but let's say a 34 foot mid-priced fifth wheel, well taken care of, used for full-timing - what is the general life expectancy? We have owned a few campers, but for various reasons have never kept them for longer than 4 or 5 years. We are getting ready to full-time and are wondering how many years we can expect to get out of a camper. Thanks!

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/14 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heck, there are plenty of folks that prefer antique/ancient rigs. Of course that means more work.

I also read here about some RV parks limiting access to rigs older than some arbitrary age, but I yet to encounter it.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M_B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/14 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on the amount of maintainence effort expended, how much it is used, and where it is used/ stored.

Our trailer is 10 years old this year, gets used 8 months out of the year including fulltime living for 3 -4 of those months, sits outside for 9 months and inside a barn for 3 months, but it still looks new inside and out. Everything works as it should and there are no water leaks.

The above is possible because we purchased a quality product to begin with and have been very careful and persistant in maintaining the rig. I would not trade our trailer for any of the newer rigs out there. Instead, I look for ways to keep it current and up to date. Pride of ownership goes a long way in being satisfied with the rig you have, in my opinion.

Purchase a decent rig and maintain it well and you should be fine with almost any brand.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/14 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will last until you get water damage in the wall. So recoat the the roof ever few years with liquid rubber roof material.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not full time by any means, but it's always outside year round and it's a 2003 model year Fleetwood Prowler, but I bought it in July of 2002 and it's still dry, solid and all mechanical's functional..

Maintenance is ongoing and keeping it clean, serviced and happy makes me happy..

Mine specifically said in it's manual that it's not meant to be a "full time" use RV, so there you go there... But, it's only a $14,000, 22', #5000 RV too, so there you go right there... I'll bet your 5ver cost a bit more, is bigger and heavier..

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/14 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

It will last until you get water damage in the wall. So recoat the the roof ever few years with liquid rubber roof material.

Very true. Our camper is a 1998 Nash. We are the fourth owners, the wife's uncle was the third owner. We doubt it was ever covered. Our 4 years of ownership and the uncles 6 years of ownership we know it wasn't covered. Everything was great until we got a leak. Now a once great little trailer is quickly rotting away.

Full timing will put more wear and tear on fabrics and whatnot. If you are gentle with closing doors and cabinets, they will last a good long time. Most travel trailers don't have great quality fabrics, so that will wear out sooner. A fiver or class A will usually have better fabrics and last longer.

2010 Tundra built in the USA by American workers. Consistently the #1 USA made truck since 2007.
1998 Nash 22H travel trailer

Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/14 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We full timed in a 1999 Coachman 365 island kitchen, 3 slide outs for 8 years. Got water damage and never was the same.
]Clicky

Marvin

2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all water damage is death, if caught in time. I wrestled with a leaky skylight for years, and have the ceiling stains to prove it. No, I didn't let it go, or camp in constant rain. Until I found Heng's roof seal that thing wouldn't hold water.

My rig's 12 now, and is still very usable, functional and smells good. I enjoy an occasional cigar, never inside, and am fussy about using fans when cooking. That's what really turns me off with older units - the smell.

I have thought about trading up, but when I think of all the work involved in removing all my electrical upgrades including 6 solar panels, I think maybe not.

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Properly maintained 25 to 30 years. You will be replacing appliances and components along the way. Possibky recovering furniture rtc. No different than a normal house.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking, about 82 years.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV life expectancy