Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Finally Happened . . .
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Finally Happened . . .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/14 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That dreaded tire blowout finally happened to us. We were headed out of town for a four day holiday weekend and boom! View in the side mirror shows the fender flying off! That was the bad news. The good news was that it happened just ten miles from our house, in cell phone range, and before we climbed the big mountain grades.

We were not overloaded and the tire pressure was good. We even have a TPMS that didn't register anything. I was watching it. The alarm on that tire sure went off though when it blew. We knew we had to change the tires the end of this year because according to the DOT code on the tires, they were good till 2015.

After our roadside service put the spare on, we drove straight to Les Schwab and had all new tires put on. They said all the tires were bad, except for the spare. Now our fifth wheel is at the dealership waiting on repairs. The dealership shop guy says it could've picked up a nail and blew instantly hence no TPMS reading. We know it took off the wheel well cover, bent the step frame, ripped the brake wiring out, tore out the wheel well under cover and damaged some of the underbelly, possibly the lower side wall will have to be replaced too, but they may be able to cover some of the edge damage. Good thing is that this falls under our comprehensive. The dealership will check all electrical, gas, and water lines to make sure nothing was compromised and will re-lube all axles too since not only did the one tire blow, but it damaged the hub on the tire behind it. We'll know the full extent of damage after they really take a good look at it. Unfortunately this is the busy time of year for RV work, so we'll be without it for at least 3 weeks, maybe a month.

It could've been worse, really. In talking to the shop guy, he says he's seen far more damage,even wires ripped completely out of the inside of units. The dealership offered to fix the brake wires and do a spot check so we could go on our way camping, but DH didn't want to take a chance in case something else went wrong as a result and then we find out up in the middle of nowhere. Better safe than sorry.

Lesson learned here - have the tires professionally inspected often, at minimum beginning in the middle of the tire life span.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/14 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad luck and good luck sometimes happens at a good time as in your story.

Were the Tires E range and made in China or just as the tire guy was thinking maybe a tire. Not sure a nail would blow a tire but I have never had a tire blow yet. Sorry for your problem as all rv'rs will feel the same.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

BubbaChris

St George Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/14 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy to hear about all the good things you can see in the situation.

Sorry for the blow out. Really appreciate hearing what you learned.

2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/14 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

We knew we had to change the tires the end of this year because according to the DOT code on the tires, they were good till 2015.
What's this mean? Is there a secret code other than than build date? Is there now a fail date?

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/14 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes a 5 year code if you want the best result. Of course that is how we do it and 2015 will be our time for new G-614's. A late June purchase and the date of the birth will be my chosing as this is how I do it for both the tv and alpenlite. Tires will show almost zero wear at the replacement time.

chevman

dave17352

LINCOLN, NE

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/14 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG:

I am curious also what the make of your tire was. Also what the actual DOT codes read. I am curious as I have to suffered a blow out on almost new tires. Mine were made in china. I am sure many are curious about the same questions I have.

Thanks for any info.

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2011 CHEVY 3500 SRW Duramax
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

2oldman

North Platte

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/14 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

We knew we had to change the tires the end of this year because according to the DOT code on the tires, they were good till 2015.
What's this mean? Is there a secret code other than than build date?
X2. Don't get that part.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/14 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

Bad luck and good luck sometimes happens at a good time as in your story.

Were the Tires E range and made in China or just as the tire guy was thinking maybe a tire. Not sure a nail would blow a tire but I have never had a tire blow yet. Sorry for your problem as all rv'rs will feel the same.

chevman

Don't know the rating, they were Power King Towmax STR LT tires. We all know that there are three things that cause a tire to blow - overweight, age, and heat. Some think the make too. These were the originals when we bought the FW new. We always checked the pressure and visually checked the tire before each trip. On a previous TT, when checking it before a trip, we saw crazes on the sidewalls. We replaced them right a way. These looked ok.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/14 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BubbaChris wrote:

Happy to hear about all the good things you can see in the situation.

Sorry for the blow out. Really appreciate hearing what you learned.

Thanks! Only way to look at it.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/14 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave17352 wrote:

ReneeG:

I am curious also what the make of your tire was. Also what the actual DOT codes read. I am curious as I have to suffered a blow out on almost new tires. Mine were made in china. I am sure many are curious about the same questions I have.

Thanks for any info.

They were Power King Towmax STR LT tires. Not sure where they are made, probably China, but I don't think that's a factor as much as age, overloading, under inflation, and heat. I don't have those tires anymore to tell you the code. I know I wrote it down and using the guidelines for the DOT codes, it calculated that we had to change the tires in 2015.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Finally Happened . . .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS