Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RV age & park rules?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV age & park rules?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/14 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All,

I recently bought a 1992 fifth wheel and tow it with a 2001 Dodge 3500. We bought it with the intention of mostly dry camping. We are finding that it is not nearly as well suited to dry camping as my prior coach was. The tankage and electric are best suited to full hookups. (My coach carried 200 gallons of diesel, 200 gallons freshwater and 220gallons waste. It also had 2 8-D house batteries, an inverter and an 8kw diesel genset.)

Now we are looking at a road trip and I am remembering issues I had with some RV parks when we traveled back in the late '90s.

My coach was a 1980 Eagle that was converted in 1993. When checking in to some parks I was asked "what year is your coach?". When I told them it was a 1980 they told me they did not allow rigs over 10 or 15 years old. I remember more than one occasion that I stopped at 3 or more parks before spending the night on the local Walmart parking lot. I finally started telling them it was a 1993. After all all of the body work, systems and interior were "new" in 1993. That worked but did bother me that I had to bend the truth.

That was 20 years ago. Have things changed at all? If not, how do those of you running older rigs deal with it?

My latest trailer is clean and in good shape but does look a bit dated.

Thanks

Steve

2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins & NV5400
2002 Alfa 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico bound)

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/14 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We refuse to stay at locales that base occupancy on age of rig.
There are many great looking older rigs.
What about the antique rigs that have been completely rebuilt to original condition?

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/14 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The year rule is to keep undesirables out of parks. Many states hold the park owners to he same rules as apartment owners. If they allow an undesirable in and they want to get rid of them, they may have to go through an eviction process, which could take months. Rolling meth labs are the best examples.

Soooooo....you may be the nicest people in the world, but the park has to have a mechanism to refuse service.

Fortunately, their are few parks that are really strict about this rule. Most of them are the very high end RV parks which most of us common people can't afford.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

Joe2222

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/14 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Have been RVing since 1970 all over the country and have only
been asked the year of the rig one time. That was in Las Vegas.
I think if you arrive at the park and the rig is in good shape
you shouldn't have a problem.
Gas up, hit the road and have a great time!

Joe & Lorraine
2015 Rockwood Ultra Light 2608WS,
09 Ford F150 Super Cab 5.4 V8

Cape Cod,MA

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/14 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to mostly be an issue in the southern snow bird parks and typically if the rig looks in good shape, they "forget" to ask the age.

Never had the question come up outside the snowbird parks.

You don't say the condition of the MH when they asked. If it was in rough shape or a model that clearly showed it's age, that was likely what drew the question. If it does come up and you feel guilty, you might try something along the lines of, "it's a 1993 refubishmentment". If they look out the window and it looks in good shape, they will probably shrug thier shoulders and move on.

Tammy Mike & the Bilge Rat (AKA: Diego)
Ford F250 7.3L
1997 Sunnybrook 27' 5er
1995 Gemini Sail Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/14 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever age your rig is, just say it is only nine years older then today's date. No one checks registrations.

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

Dear McDonald's, Thank you for not selling hot dogs. I don't think I could order a McWiener and keep a straight face.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/14 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We avoid the "resort" parks as not being suited to our lifestyle, and at other parks I've been asked what year our RV was exactly once at check-in when we had our Toyota based 1986 Dolphin Class C. In that case, the clerk was simply curious because his sister had one similar to it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

darsben

Central and Northern NY/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/14 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSDP Don wrote:

The year rule is to keep undesirables out of parks. Many states hold the park owners to he same rules as apartment owners. If they allow an undesirable in and they want to get rid of them, they may have to go through an eviction process, which could take months. Rolling meth labs are the best examples.

Soooooo....you may be the nicest people in the world, but the park has to have a mechanism to refuse service.

Fortunately, their are few parks that are really strict about this rule. Most of them are the very high end RV parks which most of us common people can't afford.

You really believe what you wrote?
Holy cow

Traveling with my best friend my wife!

cochise49

Lake Elsinore, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/14 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only found this rule one time in Sparks, NV. We were within the 10 years so no problem. Manager said they use the rule to keep the "riff Raff" out during "Burning Man" and "Hot August Nights." Not sure what that meant but there were lots of rigs there older than ten years. I would guess....if they "don't ask....don't tell." If they do ask....fib.

Bev& Keith
Kyriana(14)Aidan(10), Emily and Olivia (2) Grandchildren
Chloe(Shi-Tzu)
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/14 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only stay at FHU CGs, but my experience has been no CG operator can possibly know the age of every make and model of RV by looking at it. So mine is a 2004 this year. Next year, it will be a 2005. CG owners don't make any money off of empty camp sites. But they don't want an RV that's on its last legs and looks like it. Somebody on this site will surely mention it. Mine has been garaged since I bought it and looks brand new. The CG owner/operator looks out the window and makes a decision. That's why the parking for registration is next to that big picture window in the office.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV age & park rules?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS