Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Insurance pay for plugging into the wrong power sorce?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Insurance pay for plugging into the wrong power sorce?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
ChopperBill

Colo

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 01:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buddy of mine just purchased a new to them motor home. Went to look at it and the said the micro wave went up in smoke. They had plugged into their garage plug in the was wired for a 220 welder. Oops! When I explained it to them I said turn it into your insurance company. He said he wouldn't feel right about that. I said it's was an accident because it was not something you did knowing it was wrong. Any thoughts on this?
Also how much damage did it do? Really couldn't answer that.

"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Duck

Miami Lakes, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/14 03:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The key is the amount of damaged done. Also the deductible comes into play. His insurance company might raise his rates at the next renewal and if he tries to get a quote with a new insurance company the claim might effect their quote.
Don

08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 04:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There may be some unseen damage. I'd call the insurance company, explain everything and get their advice.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

There may be some unseen damage. I'd call the insurance company, explain everything and get their advice.

I would not discuss anything with my insurance company until I knew the full extent of the damage. if minor $$ and not much more than a deductible, pay it out of pocket. don't ask-don't tell.
bumpy

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check every electronic appliance or device in the MH...I bet more than just the microwave is fried

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

easycamper

Ontario's West Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would depend on the wording of the policy and what exclusions it has.

2001 Ram 1500 5.9L Lariat QC
2005 Vanguard Kodiak 22+2SL

bshpilot

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/14 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

its likely he also fried other equipment in his coach.
my bet is the converter / charger is also fried

Tell 'em to invest in a polarity/wiring checker & surge suppressor....and this will never happen again.

Progressive Industries Power & Surge Protection devices !

* This post was edited 07/15/14 06:08am by bshpilot *

Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/14 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A similar thing happened to us about 5 years ago. We plugged into a 30 amp circuit that had mistakenly been wired to 220. You are correct in that it fried more than the microwave. It fried all items with a circuit board, converter, refrigerator, 2 TV's, microwave, satellite receiver, etc. Our insurance covered the fridge, converter and microwave because they are "attached" to the RV. The TV's were on us. All told, the cost to replace everything was over $2,000. So with our $500 deductible and having to replace the TV's on our dime, we were out about $1,000. This little disaster did not raise our rates on our next renewal.
When we got home from that trip we bought a Progressive Industries surge protector/low voltage unit and have used it religiously since. But so far, that has been the only surge that we have experienced. We have had shut downs for low voltage several times.

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't see the insurance company paying for this. It is an accident, but born out of ignorance of fact. He best get an expert electrician to check his entire system out. It is a learning curve, albeit an expensive one. If it had been caused by a power surge then insurance might be liable.

johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/14 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ChopperBill wrote:

Buddy of mine just purchased a new to them motor home. Went to look at it and the said the micro wave went up in smoke. They had plugged into their garage plug in the was wired for a 220 welder. Oops! When I explained it to them I said turn it into your insurance company. He said he wouldn't feel right about that. I said it's was an accident because it was not something you did knowing it was wrong. Any thoughts on this?
Also how much damage did it do? Really couldn't answer that.

I would just tell the insurance company the truth about what happened then let them decide if its covered or not....Nothing to lose, the worst they can say is "no". And, with full disclosure, if they do say 'yes', then his conscience can be clear...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Insurance pay for plugging into the wrong power sorce?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS