Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Stolen TT - a word of advise
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Stolen TT - a word of advise

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
3.0charlie

Montreal, QC

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TT (in signature) was stolen last night on a well lit parking lot, which is located next to my father-in-law home. I have very little faith of ever finding it, and I'm not sure I would want to use it again. Now that being said, it was secured with twin Master locks:

The tongue coupler style (like this: Tongue Master Lock) and the tongue lock was secured with a Master U-lock. None of the 2 locks were found nearby.

The policeman explained that the thieves back up with a towing truck. They attach chains and hooks to the tongue, and lift the A-frame. They then travel to a safe location nearby to remove the locks. There they hook up to a pick-up and off they go into the night.

Next trailer will be secured with twin 3/4" chains: into the trailer wheels, and one to a tree. Heck, I might even remove a wheel.

*******s.

Now to lease a TT for our trip, which is suppose to start this Saturday.

John

John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

bshpilot

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/14 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sorry to hear of your loss - funny the cops know how this is done but rarely catch anyone.

i do all the things you suggest w/ our trailers, tongue lock, padlocks AND a heavy (grade 70) chain in a figure 8 thru the wheels on one side) luckily none of our stuff has been stolen.

Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)

MNRon

MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck with your vacation!

Ron & Pat (and 2 Portuguese Water Dogs)
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2005 HitchHiker DA 31.5LKTG

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/14 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3.0charlie wrote:

My TT (in signature) was stolen last night on a well lit parking lot, which is located next to my father-in-law home. I have very little faith of ever finding it, and I'm not sure I would want to use it again. Now that being said, it was secured with twin Master locks:

The tongue coupler style (like this: Tongue Master Lock) and the tongue lock was secured with a Master U-lock. None of the 2 locks were found nearby.

The policeman explained that the thieves back up with a towing truck. They attach chains and hooks to the tongue, and lift the A-frame. They then travel to a safe location nearby to remove the locks. There they hook up to a pick-up and off they go into the night.

Next trailer will be secured with twin 3/4" chains: into the trailer wheels, and one to a tree. Heck, I might even remove a wheel.

*******s.

Now to lease a TT for our trip, which is suppose to start this Saturday.

John
You can slow a thief down but not really stop them. True story here. back in the early 70's muscle cars were getting stolen in our area almost nightly. A friend of mine bought a new Chevelle with all the goodies, 396, 4 spd, cowl induction, posi. suspension package. Every night he backed it up to a huge oak tree in the front yard and put a logging chain around the rear axle and tree. This was right outside his bedroom window. Got up one morning car was turned around facing tree. Chain was coiled up neatly on the hood with a towel under it and a note that said-- If We Want IT We Will Get It!! Never chained it again.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs-28years
We love 56 T-Birds

3.0charlie

Montreal, QC

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I know. If one really wants it, he'll get it. If I can only deter the petty thieves, I'll be happy.

Carb Cleaner

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/14 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LoJack for trailers?

'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we might have to start taking the tires and wheels off at night. more than likely your TT will be used to make meth in. I assure you, you will not want it back at all.

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bastards. Shotgun guardian.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/14 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cordless cut off saw. About $50.00 at Harbor Freight. Can cut through any lock or chain in seconds. I still put a lock on mine but don't expect it to do much. If they want it it's theirs. Just keep good insurance on it.

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/14 10:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Removing tires is about the only real way.

Most of these stolen TT get hauled into the woods someplace, used as a Meth-Lab and abandoned

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Stolen TT - a word of advise
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS