Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Felt so bad for older couple traveling today
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Felt so bad for older couple traveling today

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Weeluvdis

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/14 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While traveling on the turnpike today in Ohio we spotted a travel trailer with white smoke and nasty smell coming from the tire area. My husband assumed wheel bearing. We were really concerned for them so we pulled up next to them motioning to pullover. My husband went up to the truck to tell them what was going on, they were probably in their late 60's or early 70's traveling across the country. Long story short early in their trip their truck died and they had to stop and buy a new truck, then 2 tires blew and now this. We bought a travel trailer last year and I'm starting to wish we had bought a pop up, class C or motorhome. I'm starting to think these pull behinds really take a beating while traveling and just aren't as safe as the other options. Can't stop thinking about this couple and what they have been through just trying to take a summer RV trip. What are your thoughts?

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/14 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weeluvdis wrote:

early in their trip their truck died and they had to stop and buy a new truck, then 2 tires blew and now this. ... I'm starting to think these pull behinds really take a beating while traveling and just aren't as safe as the other options.What are your thoughts?
They hit the road with old and worn out gear.

There's nothing inherently unsafe about trailers compared to other RVs. You just have to pay attention to your running gear. I doubt this couple had a clue.

easycamper

Ontario's West Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/14 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice of you to stop and offer to help. I imagine lots of other people were just driving on by.

A lot of towable RVs suffer from poor maintenance. Bearings need to be periodically re-packed and often that isn't done. Trailers sit for long periods of time outdoors with the sun beating down on the tires.

I don't think there's any difference in safety. I'd rather have a tire blow on the trailer than on the front axle of a motorhome.

2001 Ram 1500 5.9L Lariat QC
2005 Vanguard Kodiak 22+2SL

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/14 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing wrong with a TT. Just remember to pack your wheel bearings regularly.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/14 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True, there isnt anything inherently problematic with TT's. like anything else, it requires maintenance. BUT.. I do like not having to worry about another set of tires, etc.. So that is one of the many reasons we are going to a class c

Proud father of a US Marine

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/14 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully they got back on the road OK. If caught in time, fried bearings are not too hard to fix. Problems arise when they are not noticed and weld themselves to the spindle

Regular maintenance is the key as it is with any vehicle. I'm sure some folks don't even know you have to periodically check and re-pack your bearings.

All RV's are a compromise and have positive and negative. With the class C, you now have an engine, transmission, etc to maintain.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/14 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suprz wrote:

BUT.. I do like not having to worry about another set of tires, etc.. So that is one of the many reasons we are going to a class c

I will stay with the TT and the "tire worries" vs a class C with tire worries, engine worries, drivetrain worries, rear end worries, etc.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/14 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing special about a TT sitting for months at a time between uses vs a MH with the exception that the tow vehilce likely gets some exercise with the TT on a more regular basis vs the entire MH drivetrain sitting and rotting.

Tammy Mike & the Bilge Rat (AKA: Diego)
Ford F250 7.3L
1997 Sunnybrook 27' 5er
1995 Gemini Sail Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/14 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 66, my bride (of 45 years) turned 64 yesterday. I guess that qualifies us as "an older couple." But that wasn't us in Ohio . . . .

I've been there, however. And the others are right, whatever you buy, you have to maintain. Tires need replacement from time to time, wheel bearings need repacking, brakes checked, engine oil replaced, the list is lengthy and depends on the equipment. But all of it has requirements that you ignore at your peril.

It's kind of a "pay us now or pay us later, either way, you are gonna pay us" situation. So, not knowing any of the details, it sounds like they found the limits of the equipment they had, and i do hope they got their money's worth out of it before it had to be replaced/repaired. May we all!

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/14 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weeluvdis,

We had our first TT for 16 years and our current 5th wheel for 20 years.

I discovered early on that maintenance and preventative maintenance will help make the trips much more enjoyable.

Some things will pop up no matter how good of care you take but the problems you described that this couple went through sure points to poor care of their vehicles.

Life is an adventure....enjoy the trip. Just think how boring it would be if everything was always perfect.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Felt so bad for older couple traveling today
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS