Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: rope around trees to hang tarp?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> rope around trees to hang tarp?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/14 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sold my little travel trailer recently and have not bought another one yet. I'm thinking about what I want to get.

In the meantime, the bug has bitten me to try tent camping again. I bought a Coleman Instant Cabin 6 and a deluxe (30" wide) Coleman cot. The Grand Tetons are calling to me, and I still have a couple of weeks before I go back to work (mid-August). Thinking of staying at Lizard Creek; I don't like crowds.

In the past I never paid much attention to campers who hang tarps over their picnic tables for shade and rain shelter, but it has me thinking now. If any of you have done this, do you put anything inside the rope to protect the tree bark? Anything else I should know or should buy to successfully utilize a tarp for this? I was thinking of just using a cheap blue tarp, like from Harbor Freight, for now.

Mike G.
2008 Toyota Highlander, 2010 Aliner Ranger 12

former owner of Starcraft popup, 23' Rockwood TT, 17' Burro TT, 16' KZ TT

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/14 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never heard of there being any problems with a rope around a tree. We do it all the time without any problems. I would not recommend pounding any nails in the trees though.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/14 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven't stayed at Lizard Creek, but did stay at Gros Ventre CG back in June. The rules for Gros Ventre include the following "Damaging vegetation by driving nails into trees, carving or cutting trees, breaking limbs, picking flowers, etc. is prohibited." No mention of tying ropes to hang tarps. I would expect the rules to be the same for the other Grand Teton campgrounds.

On another note, if you really want to get away from crowds, try Atherton Creek campground on Slide Lake about 5 miles east of Kelly. Another 5 miles will take you through some beautiful red rock country to the Crystal Creek campground. Both are Forest Service.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/14 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A rope won't hurt a tree, as long as you don't try hanging elephants from it and you don't leave it in place for years. If you really want to be gentle, tie the rope to the tarp in the middle, then go around the tree with both ends so that the load is distributed on two ropes instead of one.

danager

Edmonton Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/14 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently spent a week in West Yellowstone KOA. They were very clear that you could not tie to or hang items from trees.

roamermatt

West

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/14 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're concerned about the tree, you could try using nylon webbing instead (you know, the stuff used for backpack straps, climbing harnesses, etc.). Tie some loops in each end of the webbing, wrap it around the tree, then attach your tarp rope to the webbing loops. This is basically how hammock campers do it and it's a good practice, generally, to protect trees. You can find this kind of webbing in most hardware stores, camping stores, etc.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/14 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't hang a tarp or attach a rope to trees in Florida State Parks either except below.

This year they have allowed hammocks if certain conditions are met.

From Park Rules: "Hammock use and any other associated lines may be attached to trees that are minimum of 12 inches in diameter measured at chest height and using a minimum of 2 inch wide flat web straps. Some parks may provide hammock posts instead of trees."

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

Shadow Catcher

NW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/14 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a Kelty Noah's Tarp and none of the parks we frequent restrict using trees. The tarp how ever can be used with two tent poles and I made a couple of adjustable ones using fiberglass painters poles and taping a 1/4 SS bolt in to the end and cutting off the head.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/14 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not too worried personally about the trees, but I had a vague recollection of a rule at some campground. The nylon straps might be good to pack; I have some.

Atherton Creek, I see where that is. I'll keep it in mind if I can't get a spot with a mountain view (lakeside) at Lizard. At least I could see Slide Lake at Atherton, if no mountains.

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/14 12:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shadow Catcher wrote:

We use a Kelty Noah's Tarp and none of the parks we frequent restrict using trees. The tarp how ever can be used with two tent poles and I made a couple of adjustable ones using fiberglass painters poles and taping a 1/4 SS bolt in to the end and cutting off the head.

X2 on the Noah's tarp. Or even better yet, the MSR Outfitter Wing. I have both and usually use at least one (always the MSR wing first)on most raft trips.

If you do decide to go with a Blue Tarp (you sure can't beat the price), try to create a ridge in the center with a taut rope running the length of the tarp. Then tie the sides of the tarp a bit lower than the ridge to allow water to drain off.

Have fun,
Steve

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> rope around trees to hang tarp?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: