Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Campground pricing.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campground pricing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
tomkaren13

West Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/14 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just took a road trip. Just driving our truck, not with the TT. Got good MPG of about 18. Motels were expensive. Got a couple of good deals but some were outragous in price. Went this option because of gas prices.

Now to my question. Anyone have a good estimate of the average night rate of regular campgrounds, not state or federal places?

Trying to questimate our next trip and see what is the better option price wise.

(Oh the camper we know is more comfortable!)

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/14 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

u can be pretty comfortable probably at 30.00 a night average

MTPockets1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/14 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Location will control prices.... But, full hook up can run about $28 to $49, some more for resorts.

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/14 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomkaren13 wrote:

We just took a road trip. Just driving our truck, not with the TT. Got good MPG of about 18. Motels were expensive. Got a couple of good deals but some were outragous in price. Went this option because of gas prices.

Now to my question. Anyone have a good estimate of the average night rate of regular campgrounds, not state or federal places?

Trying to questimate our next trip and see what is the better option price wise.

(Oh the camper we know is more comfortable!)

since we retired back in 2005 most of our campground nights have been in full hook-up parks with wifi and cable. we also tend to spend a week or more at the parks which significantly lowers the price. for our 1 & 2-night stays we normally use our Good Sam discount. all that being said since 2005 our average per night cost for a campground/RV park is a shade under $28 per night.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Corkey05

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/14 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our last round trip from the west coast to the midwest and back took three months. Our overall three month avg was $38 per night.

A lot depends on your route and the type of parks you chose for your stay. We seemed to find ourselves away from the mainstream a lot, but there we always KOA's available, but they're rate is usually higher than most and skewed our numbers. They might be a little higher, but it's sure nice to know they are there when you need a place.

We now plan for $38 per night on trips and keep the change if it comes under. Way better than projecting too low a cost and running short.

2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/14 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

25 to 45. We just paid 33 for power only in Vancouver. I think no service was 25 but none were available. If just dead heading it's usually zero as we stay at travel centres or walmart. No services required unless it over 95 degrees. Then it's nice to run the AC.

We found the big expense of hotel or motel travel is the food. A few dollars a day if preparing meals in the rig or close to 100 bucks a day if eating out...not to mention not as healthy.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/14 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 3 local CGs that are ran buy the county I live in here in Kansas City charges $24/night for a 30A site with water. I think the same site with sewer is $28/night and slightly more for a 50A connection. Cable and wifi are not available at these CGs.

2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0
P3 controller
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH

US Army veteran

kgarrett9999

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/14 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently took a 2 week vacation from Tx to the Florida Keys. I probably averaged around $32 per night but that was mostly state/national parks with full hookups where available and taxes/fees, etc. My fuel bill was the big ticket item at about $1,400. Since I got 9.9 MPG vs a normal highway MPG of about 18 without the travel trailer, the travel trailer cost me roughly $650 (in my head calc) to tow. Spread that over the 14 or so nights and it cost me an extra $45 per night. Add those two together and I could have stayed at many of the normal chain hotels for about the same cost, but probably not at the locations where we were with the views and convenience.

kgarrett9999

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/14 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, Before we left on the trip I had a spreadsheet with the anticipated fuel costs and the campground costs where I had reservations. Overall my guesstimates were pretty close ahead of time though I did get caught on fuel prices in a few locations. One gas station in Homestead, Fl advertised on their sign a price that looked pretty good, but after pumping about half the fuel I needed I noticed that was a cash price and the credit price was about 30 cents higher.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/14 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All things considered, I don't really consider camping as a cheaper alternative then staying in a hotel. It's just different. You can't roast marshmallows over a campfire in the lobby of the Holiday Inn.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campground pricing.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS