Woodalls Open Roads Forum: When traveling avoid ATM which can snatch your card
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> When traveling avoid ATM which can snatch your card

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
tpi

Southern CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/14 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1000 miles from home, I put my card in major bank ATM. At that point the ATM went out of order and would not take a pin code or return my card. I went inside bank and requested my card back. They refused, said policy prevented that due to possible fraud. I found the ATM was being serviced at that time. I had a long involved argument (regarding faulty ATM) in the lobby of the bank and eventually I wore out the manager who made a call and got authorization to return my card.

Moral of story: If traveling and have the option, use an ATM which can not snatch your card. Stuff happens, and this issue wasted some valuable travel time.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/14 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do we know what ATM's can take a card?
I assumed they all could.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

tpi

Southern CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/14 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frequently ATMs in grocery stores etc. do not suck the card in. You swipe it in external reader.

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/14 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tpi wrote:

Stuff happens, and this issue wasted some valuable travel time.
I'm sure what happened is a very rare event. However, sounds like an incompetent bank manager who couldn't simply verify your story. Many banks are run like government offices. "It makes no sense, it's just our policy."

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/14 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

tpi wrote:

Stuff happens, and this issue wasted some valuable travel time.
I'm sure what happened is a very rare event. However, sounds like an incompetent bank manager who couldn't simply verify your story. Many banks are run like government offices. "It makes no sense, it's just our policy."

Not true. I work for a bank. A lot of policies that banks have are mandated by federal regulation because fraud is so prevalent.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

tpi

Southern CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/14 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep I offered a ton of ID which matched the card. They simply wanted to stick strictly to policy till I became a pest. Then they looked at ID and returned the card after contacting headquarters.

camper19709

middletown,DE

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/14 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ATM's at gas stations, malls, bars and convenience stores can not snatch and keep your card. You slide it in and pull it right back out to activate the machine. The ATM runs without your card even being in the slot.

Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/14 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

A lot of policies that banks have are mandated by federal regulation because fraud is so prevalent.
I guess that's my point.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/14 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other side of the coin:

I'm so happy! Someone stole my ATM card and tried to use it at bank ATM. The ATM was getting serviced and for some reason locked on the card and wouldn't give it back to the thief. Whew! That ATM saved me from losing a lot of money.

Yes, it's inconvenient when it backfires, but most people want such protections against thieves.

My rule is to always have accounts at two separate financial institutions at least AND to carry 2 different credit cards and 2 different ATM cards. That way, if one gets blocked accidentally, I still have money until it can get resolved.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/14 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Someone stole my ATM card and tried to use it at bank ATM. The ATM was getting serviced and for some reason locked on the card and wouldn't give it back to the thief. Whew! That ATM saved me from losing a lot of money.
Someone also knew your PIN? Was the card kept because of the servicing, or the report of theft? I wonder if the thief went into the bank and demanded the card back.

It seems ridiculous that an ATM would go into maintenance during a transaction in the first place - let alone keep a perfectly legitimate card.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> When traveling avoid ATM which can snatch your card
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS