Woodalls Open Roads Forum: would you pay $41 to enter a National Park?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> would you pay $41 to enter a National Park?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
tsetsaf

Full-Timer

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/14 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am calling BS on this story. Read it and the implication is that folks would be okay with an 80% increase in entrance fees if it ensured they would see a bear Article

2006 Dodge 3500 5.9L CTD 6spd Manual SB SRW - Pullrite SG - Ride Rite Airbags - Rickson 19.5 Steelies 150K and going strong
2014 Premier Elite 44' Fifth Wheel... calm down it is within the weight limits of my truck.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/14 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't doubt it a bit. People go nuts over seeing wild animals. The article you reference actually states that people on average would pay an additional $41 to see bears. That would make the entrance fee to Yellowstone $66.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB

3oaks

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/14 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all the National Park fees and money raised inside of the parks stayed with the parks, there wouldn't be a need to raise the entrance fees and at the same time the parks would be better maintained. The biggest problem being that most of the money that the parks themselves generate goes back to Washington D.C. and squandered on other budget items.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/14 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't one of the Natl Park Access cards cover these places.

I know I have used my SENIOR PASS to get into the NATL FOREST areas like SKYLINE DRIVE in VA, The Indian Ruins near Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon in AZ, etc...

It also gives me 50% on camping fees in these areas.

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

rjxj

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/14 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. I wont pay $25.00 and I can afford to. What happened to a family going low buck? Many things are already priced out of their reach.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/14 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The national Senior Pass does cover entrance fees into Yellowstone, but not fees to get eaten by bears. That is covered by you Medicare hospital insurance. Or, SS death benefits. It also covers part of the camping fees at some COE areas.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 Poodle

dewey02

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/14 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3oaks wrote:

If all the National Park fees and money raised inside of the parks stayed with the parks, there wouldn't be a need to raise the entrance fees and at the same time the parks would be better maintained. The biggest problem being that most of the money that the parks themselves generate goes back to Washington D.C. and squandered on other budget items.

Untrue. Since 2004, the Recreation Enhancement Act allows most funds generated by recreation fees at federal sites to remain with the unit and agency generating the funds.
Link

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/14 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are not aware of it, the fees for National Parks access goes directly to Washington and into the general budget. Meanwhile, the budget for National Parks is being cut more and more, down to the point that there is very little or no maintenance staff, and fewer Rangers. At at least one major National monument, visited by thousands daily, there is no handicap access to restrooms or the biggest part of the monument. The equipment is there, but is not used due to the cost of maintenance. So, if you want to see our National parks, you better do it before they are all sold to private companies and the price will really go up then! Most visitor facilities and shops are already being run by private contractors,and volunteers working for free.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/14 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

Doesn't one of the Natl Park Access cards cover these places.

I know I have used my SENIOR PASS to get into the NATL FOREST areas like SKYLINE DRIVE in VA, The Indian Ruins near Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon in AZ, etc...

It also gives me 50% on camping fees in these areas.

Roy Ken

We buy the Annual Pass too. Don't recall, but I think it's around 60-80 bucks.

Yellowstone's kinda like Disnyland; It doesn't matter what the cost is, people will pay it. If you want sticker shock, take a family of 4 to Disneyland. Better have 4-5 bills with you.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Mr.Beebo

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/14 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The article wasn't very in depth nor did it have a whole lot of facts, other than what was based off of a survey. I couldn't spare the time to make the trek to Yellowstone this year. I'm not sure I agree with $25 to gain entry, but I know how I feel about $66. As far as bears, it isn't Jurassic Park, and I don't expect a refund if I can't see a bear.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> would you pay $41 to enter a National Park?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS