Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Help With Tent Purchase
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Help With Tent Purchase

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
padowd

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/14 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I are looking to purchase a new tent and we are really impressed with the Kodiak 6133 9 x 12 that you can add the wall enclosure. It is just the two of us but we like lots of room and sometimes we may have friends that want to come with us. The only things that we keep thinking
about is if it is to big. We live in Alabama and the only campgrounds close to us are State Parks and I know they have tent pads but I don't know how big. Maybe not large enough to handle a tent this size. The primitive sites are usually park your car and walk in and that is not a option with a heavy canvas tent. I am new to camping but my husband has camped alot but mostly canoe and backpacking which is different than car camping. I guess I am trying to convince him that we need to buy this tent. We have a Eureka which is a nice tent but you cannot stand up in it and as I am getting older want more comfort. He is also worried about setting it up and how long it takes. Looked on the internet and hoped to find a video of this model with wall enclosure being set up but could not find anything. If anyone has this tent or can offer any advice please do so. I love the reviews and it seems like a great tent. Look forward to your opinions.

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/14 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you try Google Images?

Kodiak tent

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/14 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there is a video on facebook for them i had one years ago never usedthe divider.good luck with keeping it from molding

Rolling Condo

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/14 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should not encounter any problems with a tent that size in any sate park.

'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

padowd

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/14 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I have looked at Google Images but thanks for the suggestion.

NYCgrrl

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/14 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep hearing massive praises about the Kodiak line although I've never owned a canvas tent. To be sure that places you'll be camping in have maximum tent sizes ( I know some Fed sites do) just go to the individual states' camping websites and check. Not sure what part of the country you are camping in but on the east coast, Fire Island National Seashore, definitely limits tent sizes; so far only one I've dealt with a restriction. Oh and few Fed, state, county parks have tent pads on my end either.

Have fun with whatever tent you opt for!

Current owner of a 12'*12' tent that feels glorious for 2 but accommodates up to 4 in my life.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/14 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our last tent was this JEEP BRAND three room tent. It has partition which give one large front room and two back rooms.

We camped all over the Blue Ridge mtns in the high country of VA-TN-SC-NC-GA-AL. Plenty of stand-up room for the two of us. made several runs down the Blue Ridge PARKWAY between VA and NC which is made for tent camping... We still will setup a tent along with our OFF-ROAD POPUP camper. Grandkids love it haha...

The large front area has lots of sitting room for tables etc. Then one of the back room we had our folding air bed and the other room was the day time catch all room.

I finally passed it on to the kids since we started going everywhere in our OFF-ROAD POPUP camper...

I loved our tent camping days which we started doing in AZ back in the 60s and 70s... We never did without anything with our tent camping. It looked great setup at ELKMONT in the Smoky Mtns Natl park.

I also ran out a hugh tarp over the whole tent and made a full awning to sit under across the whole front...

We did run into some camp sites that were layed out too small for the whole tent but usually those over-lap areas was in the back of the tent on one side and never really bothered anything...

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

flat_twin

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/14 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I used very small tents for motorcycle camping for years. The 9'6"x9'6" Eureka Equidome is our luxury tent. It's near vertical walls allow me (6' tall) to stand upright everywhere inside the tent.

Not my photo but the same tent...

The large interior and huge back window are what we like about it best. Packing size is quite small for a large tent. We've packed it on the motorcycle when we're camping for several days and want the luxury of standing up to get dressed. Pole length is about 22 inches making a nice small bundle.

After 14 years the only problem with the tent is the nylon has become tacky from UV exposure. No problems with zippers, screens or pole hardware.
A quality canvas tent like a Kirkhams or Kodiak is a lifetime tent. The price is dealing with the bulk of canvas. For a dedicated car camping tent, I could do that. I am intrigued by the spring bar design and would love to have one someday though it would be smaller than 10x16 for just the two of us. Setting up a spring bar looks to be fairly easy. The video shown on Kirkhams website of the spring bar tent getting beat up but still standing after enduring high winds and rain is impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0bZoGm9Is

mhampton

Indianapolis

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/14 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

9 by 12 really isn't that large of a footprint for a tent, especially if you are considering the occasional guest. I can't imagine any state park not being able to handle it.

Mike Hampton
Still campin' after all these years!

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/14 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're pretty "hardcore" tent campers. We buy our tents new-with-tags off ebay, 60% off, at auction. Wouldn't touch anything made by Eureka!, Coleman, Wenzel, Ozark, Famous Trails etc. or any of the cheapies - but then we camp often and would lose a ton of money over time if we bought those low-end tents. Anything larger than 10X10 is a waste of money as it will not have enough poles/fabric sq. ft. You lose your options as where on your campsite you can pitch your tent once it's any larger. Kodiak and Springbar are good tents, provided you understand that they are 2X as heavy as an equivalent quality polyester or nylon tent, and that as they are treated duck canvas, require extra care and are prone to mold and mildew spores. For synthetics, stick with brands like Sierra Designs, REI, EMS, Marmot, NorthFace, Mountain HardWear, and Big Agnes. Kelty and Eureka! have some quality designs, but most people won't buy them as they mix in a lot of low-end, outdated tent designs. Avoid: tents with screen-rooms or big exposed windows, fiberglas poles, flys that don't cover all of the tent inner body, D-shaped doors, and pin-and-ring style tents. These are fine if you only plan on a trip or two, but you'll quickly find out that low-quality means no rain/wind integrity, fragile parts, difficult setup, poor ventilation, leaky in driving rain, leaky floor seams, zippers that break very quickly, etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Help With Tent Purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS