Woodalls Open Roads Forum: External Speakers, do you really want them ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> External Speakers, do you really want them ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
mountainborn

Ouachita Mountains, Deep in the Arkansas Outback

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/14 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While boondocking on a local lake we had quite a storm and found a drip in a kitchen cabinet. Back tracking we found the culprit. Here is the photos and repair story.

Photo and repair story

2010 Coleman Fifth wheel CT325
2008 Ford F350 Dually
2012 Jeep JK Hardtop
http://www.mountainborn.blogspot.com/

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a big fan of cutting holes in exterior walls to install speakers.
1. Anytime there's a hole, there's a chance of a leak.
2. That mounting space compromises the insulation.
3. Most weatherproof speakers don't have the best sound.
4. There are better ways to achieve exterior sound than mounting a speaker into the wall.

I see from your pictures on your blog that the dust cap of the speaker has become unglued from the cone. You can just glue that cap back in place and, as long as the rest of the cone and surround material is intact, that should fix your leak. That is pretty rare and I would bet that it has something to do with the material of the dust cap.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/14 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With todays remote speaker setups all you really need to do is just bring one outside and it works where you set it.

WALMART AMAZON etc has all kinds of different WIRELESS speakers...

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

FrankShore

Laguna Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The quality of Marine speakers is very subjective. For instance, these specific Marine speakers are way better than most peoples home stereo speakers

Bose

2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In - Burned Total Loss - Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox
Looking At A Lighter Lance Trailer or OutdoorsRV Trailer
1994 Beneteau Oceanis 400
Looking At A 1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis
Nyt livet og leir oftere

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FrankShore wrote:

The quality of Marine speakers is very subjective. For instance, these specific Marine speakers are way better than most peoples home stereo speakers

Bose
That's a fairly broad statement. It's difficult to find a good reproduction of frequencies with a single driver. There are some out there but not a lot. An enclosure with more than one driver usually results in better reproduction. If I wanted good exterior speakers to be driven off the stock sound system, I'd install jack plates and connect a speaker enclosure when I wanted outside sound.

The beauty about Bose and Amar Bose, in particular, is that they have one of the best marketing teams in audio. Add into the situation that until a few years ago, factory vehicle sound systems were junk. The speakers in my 2003 Ford were abysmal. Bose stepped into the auto market and made speakers that were a cut above.
Today, there is no reason to pay the inflated prices that Bose or any other maker commands.

If anyone is needing replacement external speakers, I'd recommend a look at Faital Pro. They make a 4 ohm driver that is guaranteed weatherproof and is a fraction of the Bose cost. It will also sound better.

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have never used out external entertainment center. This Christmas my son gave me a pair of nice WiFi speakers that work great off the I-phone and I-pad. Not only do I use these outside, but I can keep them close and not bother the neighbors. Much better idea.
JMHO

noplace2

roaming

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amen. Get wireless headphones and don't bother anyone else. My jazz would probably bother you as much as Metallica would bother me. BTW, I'm 63 and I "get" metal, just not hours on end and piped through tinny external speakers. As always, it's a matter of consideration for your neighbors, something that seems to have been lost in the "it's all about me" world.

You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do. - Eleanor Roosevelt

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dislike external speakers. I tried to delete them when ordering a new 5er. Keystone would not delete. I do not care for holes in the side of my 5er and the low quality sound from the cheep speakers. I would much rather have jacks I could plug a couple of speakers into.

loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the TT we looked at had external speakers. We tend to camp in places where either radios are banned or there is no reception anyway. ,LOL
The only time we have played music in our TT was when hubby washed the outside. Then the speakers were great.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In five years of full time camping or is it six now... I have, on ONE occasion, had a next door neighbor with outside speakers playing a radio station I actually liked and tuned in in my car... SOFTLY so even if I had not liked it it would not have been annoying.

I won't tell you the number who were loud and annoying.

WE DO NOT NEED OUTSIDE SPEAKERS.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> External Speakers, do you really want them ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS