Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: The ideal GPS route
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The ideal GPS route

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
holstein13

Fort Lauderdale, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 03:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love modern technology, but I'm not always thrilled with the routing suggestions from my Rand McNally GPS. Ideally, here's what I'd change:

1) When I'm heading to a destination, I'd like to use Major Interstate Highways first to get as close as possible, followed by State limited access highways, then state highways with medians, progressing down to trunk roads, and finally streets. I don't want to be routed along every back alley and side street just to save a couple hundred yards off the trip.

2) When I'm looking at a long trip on a highway that looks like it's 300 miles long, I don't want the GPS telling me there's a merge or change every 20 miles or so. My GPS makes it look like I'm traveling on 10 different highways when in reality, it's only one long one.

Anyone have any ideas how to configure my unit to fix these two problems? Or is there a better way. I find similar problems on my IPad with Google Maps and several other products.

2011 Fleetwood Storm 32BH
2011 Scion XB
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

TomHaycraft

Round Rock, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 04:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own Garmin units (Zumo 660 for my TV and motorcycle, Edge 800 for my bikes ... as in bicycles) and in various scenarios, encountered the same challenge as you describe wanting to take a route slightly different from what the GPS wants.

If a significant diversion from where a GPS would want to route me, I will use mapping software to create a route and upload to my device (assuming your Rand McNally can do the same?). If simply an alternate route as you might see in Google Maps, I will make a few notes about the exit or road to turn on and allow the GPS to catch up with me and re-route or re-calculate.

As to the GPS jabbering about various interchanges, I keep the volume turned pretty low and rely on the visual ques on the GPS screen. Once in town where I need to be 100% focused on the road, I will have my co-pilot (who usually has her paper maps out as backup!) turn up the volume so I can hear the turn by turn navigation.

Hope it helps!

2009 Silverado C1500 CrewCab - Timbrens
2013 Springdale 247FWRLLS - Reese Sidewinder - TST 507 TPMS

rseymour21

Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand what your talking about! When I first started using a GPS, I turned off the highway I was on cause it was sounding like I needed to exit, but really it was another highway joining. Best I can tell, they all do that! My fix, I don't really trust'em!

2003 F250 7.3L
2008 Cougar 292RK

msgtord

Az & Tx

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/14 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always mute the sound on a GPS.

holstein13

Fort Lauderdale, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msgtord wrote:

Always mute the sound on a GPS.

Doesn't help. Even if I mute it, the GPS still shows a change of course in the next 20 miles or so. If I have 200 miles to go, I really want to focus on the road and not worry about the GPS for 198 miles. Besides, I set the GPS to warn me if I exceed the speed limit. I like that feature.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not setting a GPS for the "shortest route", but rather for the "fastest route", will eliminate a lot of those back alley and cow path routes.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/14 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am as bumfuddled as the rest of you with GPS routing. Many times I do not need its help until I am in unfamiliar territory. However until then I am amazed at the poor routing instruction I am given by Garmin. They can add many unnecessary miles to your trip if you follow them to closely.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/14 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know of any work-arounds that would help you. And I sure understand your frustration. Every time we use the GPS (which is every time we travel) we can't believe how un-technologically advanced they are. We should be able to talk to it and tell it things - like:

Don't tell me when there is a large interchange ahead that I don't want to go on.

We'd really like to stay on the road along the lake even if we could save 1 minute by taking a different road.

We're pulling into a gas station, so don't worry your pretty little head about recalculating.

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/14 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Not setting a GPS for the "shortest route", but rather for the "fastest route", will eliminate a lot of those back alley and cow path routes.

Ditto X2. You need to go into settings and either choose shortest or fastest route. And there should be a setting or pop up that asks you if you want to avoid toll roads or accept toll roads. That will determine if you are up on the interstate or down on the frontage road for your trip.

Finding and fine tuning the settings eliminates all the unnecessary garbage. Some GPS settings menu's are ARE a little confusing and not user friendly.

I FINALLY found out on mine that within each icon on each page of settings there were more settings. And the description of which icon to use to change a setting are sometimes misleading, it appears not to apply to what you want to do so you don't click on them and keep searching for what you want. When in essence if you clicked on it you find more settings within it that do contain what you need!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/14 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

I don't know of any work-arounds that would help you. And I sure understand your frustration. Every time we use the GPS (which is every time we travel) we can't believe how un-technologically advanced they are.
We should be able to talk to it and tell it things- like:

Don't tell me when there is a large interchange ahead that I don't want to go on.

We'd really like to stay on the road along the lake even if we could save 1 minute by taking a different road.

We're pulling into a gas station, so don't worry your pretty little head about recalculating.

I have a TomTom and I CAN talk to it and she understands me!
I tell here where I want to go, she programs the route. No pushing tiny little buttons entering all the info!

Mine never offers alternate routes. Could it be you all with Garmins are not programming it properly to provide a designated route?

They ONLY time mine recalculates is if "I" alter from the programmed route. Which I like a lot because if I change how I am going I don't want to have to stop and reprogram it into the unit....it recognizes that "I" alter the route and recalculates my trip based on what I have done. Especially good for accidents, detours, construction,etc.

Sure glad I bought a TomTom.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The ideal GPS route
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS