Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: No RV'er wave?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> No RV'er wave?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
caberto

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/14 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, this is just an observation. this may sound a little corny or whatever, lol. And I'm not trying to start a debate on anything here.

We've been RV'ing in our 5th wheel since 2010, and have traveled to different states. One thing we've noticed when on the highway, is that RV'ers don't wave when passing by a fellow RV'er either in the same or opposite direction.

Why would anyone wave in the first place you ask? "Albert, get over yourself and just travel to your destination will you? Leave people alone..."

My wife and I are also avid motorcyclists, and most motorcyclists wave to one another; sure, some won't, but most will either initiate a wave or wave back if waved to. We don't do it all the time, but will wave if possible or if waived to while riding. Oh yea, and this is sort of a sore topic with some bikers as they just don't want to be bothered, and that's fine of course. But most riders will wave, as a sort of camaraderie between people who share the same passion, interest, and also share unique highway hazards and challenges on the road that non-bikers don't understand.

But we've never received a wave from a fellow RV'er, even though we, as a group/community of people on the road, also face unique hazards and challenges during our travels on the road... not to mention our mutual interest and passion for traveling to new places and/or camping.

So, during our return trip from Lake Tahoe with the 5th wheel recently (just over 400 miles one way), we did a very non-scientific test. We waved at every RV we saw, regardless of what type, and we saw many; we waved at Class A, Class C, fivers, travel trailers, popups, we waved at them all... not one driver looked our way to be able to acknowledge my wave.

LOL, obviously not a big deal, we were just a little curious if anyone would wave back. No one did. So, now we're just curious, does anyone at all try waving to fellow RV'ers on the road?

2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/14 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of them are too sacred to let go of the wheel, or to look across the lane. It's all they can do to hold on.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/14 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't say I pay attention or anticipate waving as I would have to wave to every HD truck too while camping. Nothing wrong with doing it and I always return a wave when I notice it, but it's something we don't look for and we have a variety of special interests including motorcycles and quads.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/14 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We talked about that a couple of weeks ago while coming home from a campin trip. So I started waving and most of the people I looked at were focused on the 2-lane curvy road with both hands, and white knuckles, holding on dearly to the steering wheel.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

hedge

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/14 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a truck camper and seem to get lots of waves from other tc'ers. Maybe it's because we are more rare

2012 F350 Diesel
2013 Adventurer 89RB

darsben

Central and Northern NY/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/14 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Must be different in Class A because I get and give lots of waves. Not in busy cities but out on the lonesome roads it seems to be common to me anyway.
Of course maybe it is because I have a pretty wife

Traveling with my best friend my wife!

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/14 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a motorcycle back in mid/late 80's and all riders waved. Harley guys would hold their left fist down beside them instead of wave though. I had a Yamaha and never waved like them...I was scared they would come back, beat me up and father rape me!

We've been boating regularly since 2001/2002 and most boaters will wave if conditions permit...or one of the passengers will while the captain maintains the wheel.

If you've ever driven rural GA and probably other similar states, you always just lift your index finger off the wheel when passing another pick-up truck.

I figure with my class C overhang, most folks couldn't see me waving. But, it would be nice to recognize others you met on the road.

Our Web Albums Temporary Web Albums
2006 Yellowstone SE, 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L and 2011 Tidewater 1900 Bay Max

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/14 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I've ever been waved at on the freeway while in the RV is when my outside storage door came open.

I usually wave at and or am waved to on side roads when something happens to warrant acknowledgement (e.g., letting someone pass me, someone letting me turn first, etc.).

And maybe that's the difference? With a motorcycle, you're used to being unnoticed by other drivers on the road - so a wave of "hey, I see you" is appreciated.

With an RV, you are always noticed. No one misses you driving down the road. So, acknowledging your existence isn't a big deal. Waving is, instead, reserved for letting you know there's something wrong.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360

jandjbaums

So. Or

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/14 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have the same thing with truckers,you used to wave at each other. Now nobody bothers.I wave at all the rv'ers and all I get is a blank stare.

• 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

bigB42

montana

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/14 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

almost all boaters wave on our lake in mt. most people wave in cars pick-ups,accross the country we wave at all rv,s most trucks on 2 lane rds, most wave back some we can't see

ken

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> No RV'er wave?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS