Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Insurance Company giving me a hard time
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Insurance Company giving me a hard time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
kd460

Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/14 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001 Trail-lite 5280-s 5th wheel camper. I have owned it since 2002 (purchased from dealer new as last years inventory).

Camper is stored out doors since day one in Michigan. Well, we had record snow falls this last winter and my camper suffered from it.

Ceiling (roof) is now sagging from the weight of the snow this past winter. I can physically move the ceiling up and down about 3 inches with my hands. When I say ceiling I mean roof and all.

Contacted insurance company, eventually got someone to come look at it. Was told by this person after he looked at it, that it will be fixed, was about $5500 dollars and was asked where would I like to take the camper for repairs? Was also told by the inspector that he would put the information together and insurance company would contact me.

Never heard from them for weeks, so I called. Now they are saying that they feel it is water that caused the sag and is not covered.

I insisted there is no leak. Never has been a leak, not before sag, and not even now after. I was in the camper during a heavy rainfall 2 weeks ago, and still no leaks. White ceilings and walls. Not a spot or stain, or drip or anything since I have owned camper.

So now they say they want to do a "Seal Tech Pressure Test". To determine if there are leaks. What the heck is that?

Bottom line, it looks like the insurance company is trying to find an excuse to not pay for the repair. Estimate was $5500 by the inspector looked at it. Now, different tune.

Sorry, feeling a little frustrated, I guess it is time to call a lawyer, but, anybody got any advice?

This is an ultra lite camper with no ceiling beams. Just the laminated foam type ceiling. My guess is the weight caused the foam to break or the laminations (glue) to fail...thus causing my problem.

Anybody got any advice or ideas? Am I getting hosed by the insurance company? Never had a claim before till now! UGG!

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/14 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had snow damage to the roof of a stick built house, here in Michigan, last winter. Insurance company pointed me to a fine print clause in the policy that said weather damage must be the result of a named storm. Ever hear of a named snow storm or tornado? Total BS. Insurance company is history to me now. Luckily damage wasn't extensive and caught befor we had water damage.

justlou

Northern, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/14 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Seal Tech Pressure Test is a method of determining the source of leaks in an RV. They use a device that usually mounts to the roof vent and creates a positive pressure inside the RV. They then spray a soapy solution around any joints, doors, windows or any place else that could leak. If there is a leak it will produce bubbles.
It sounds like the insurance company is just covering all the bases before paying on your claim. I'm surprised the inspector agreed to a payout without first performing this test.

justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2004 Saturn Vue Toad

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/14 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my question is why didnt you clean the snow off before it got that heavy

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/14 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water-Bug wrote:

I had snow damage to the roof of a stick built house, here in Michigan, last winter. Insurance company pointed me to a fine print clause in the policy that said weather damage must be the result of a named storm. Ever hear of a named snow storm or tornado? Total BS.

You obviously don't watch The Weather Channel.
They name all the storms now.
Do a "history" search for the storm on Weather.com and give the insurance company whatever they named it.

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/14 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every state has some sort of Insurance Commissioner. The companies have to be licensed to do business in the states. Contact them. They might have an online complaint form. Ins. companies DO NOT LIKE getting a letter from them.......too many complaints, they may lose their license. A heck of a lot cheaper than an attorney.

gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/14 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about telling us the name of the insurance company so we can avoid it? I just had Ameriprise deny a claim on a vehicle and I'm planning to take my business elsewhere when the policy expires in 3 months.

whistlebritches

Cherryvale, KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/14 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All insurance companies want is the premiums. They never want to pay claims and if they have to pay one, then they cancel you. Also, the dictate how much deductible you must carry, what they'll cover and not cover (more not than will). Our insurance in Kansas raised the deductible to $1000 on all wind and hail damage. Now 90% of what we get here is wind and hail!

Duke-44

Wyoming Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/14 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

How about telling us the name of the insurance company so we can avoid it? I just had Ameriprise deny a claim on a vehicle and I'm planning to take my business elsewhere when the policy expires in 3 months.

Take your business elsewhere now and ask for a prorated refund.

kd460

Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/14 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an ultra lite camper. The roof is a foam composite type roof, no struts from what very little info I can find. The Styrofoam is the roof. The Styrofoam also has chambers in it for ducting of the air conditioner ducts. Like honeycomb? If anybody has anymore information on the actual construction of the roof or walls of a trail-lite 5th wheel, I am all ears.

From outer most layer of the roof to the inside of the camper, my understanding is, rubber roof material, then rigid layer of fiberglass, then 3 or 4 inches of Styrofoam, then a layer of laminate wood, then interior decorative finish (wallpaper type material) for the inside finish.

The layers and foam are all bonded together with adhesive and this is what makes it "strong". Again, no beams. Any of the wall braces and beams are aluminum.

I spoke with a local RV repair shop when I noticed the problem and he told me about the construction of this camper and how the roof is made. He had many units in his shop at that time for roof repairs...mostly aluminum and wood type framing.

Camper is stored 150 miles from my home, do not use in the winter so did not observe how much snow was on the camper. Never had an issue before, but this winter was a record snow fall... and ended up having a problem like many other campers in the state...many other campers who had an insurance company that paid for their repairs.

I get basic legal services thru my employer for a small monthly fee, so I am going to at least talk with an attorney and see where I stand. I am hoping if I let the insurance company know I will not be a push over, they may speak a different tune.

Who knows at this point. Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Insurance Company giving me a hard time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS