Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Will a Direct TV LNB work w/ Dish Network?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Will a Direct TV LNB work w/ Dish Network?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
donkim

Northcoast, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/03 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a used dish with a single lnb. Tonight I hooked it up to our Dish receiver and found satellite 119w and can only get 2 channels. Sounds like a programming problem in the rcvr., but Dish says that you must use a "Dish" lnb. Anyone else have any luck using an old Direct TV lnb dish w/ Dish Network?

TheLostDutchman

Prescott Valley, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/03 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure exactly what the difference is, but Dish Net's LNB's will not work on Direct TV and vice-versa.I had the same issue - a Direct TV LNB with a Dishnet hookup.

My problem was solved when I ran into someone with the opposite problem - we traded and both got signals.

Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

mlg 626

Il

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/03 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are trying to hid two sat at the same time you will need the Dish 500 system, but if you are like me, the motor home has a dual LNB I have two receivers, I hit sat 119w and then run a switch check, (if the receivers were used on a 500 system. you will have to do this) I'm use an old Direct TV LNB I had.

donkim

Northcoast, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/03 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the quick reply. It didn't make any sense to me either, but your experience confirms that I need to find a dish lnb, might as well get a dual one and pick up the 110w satellite as well. This camping stuff is getting too technical, might have to go back to a tent!

Jerry A

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/03 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have DirecTV in my old 5th wheel with a single lnb. I switched to DISH and my old Winegard lnb and dish worked fine for receiving the Dish 119 satellite. The only difference between the two services is the location of the satellite in the sky. I do not miss not being able to receive the 110 satellite. There is so much on the 119 to watch as it is. On our new RV I have the regular old style Winegard antenna but I have a dual lnb so I can use my Dish 721 PVR to record one show while watching another. If you can live with just the 119 satellite I see no reason to go with the Dish 500

Jerry & Carole Abbanat, Monterey, CA
2004 Hitchhiker "Discover America" 29RL
1999 Ford 250 SuperCab, 7.3 PSD, Roll-A-Long Mods

brenthunt

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/03 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can use a DirecTV antenna to receive the 119 satellite programming. After you hook up the antenna to your Dish Network receiver don't run the check switch setup.

You don't want a switch (SW21) in the system at all. If you want to receive both 119 and 110 on Dish Network you will need the Dish Network 500 antenna and run the necessary check switch/install Dish 500 Antenna.

If you are using the new DP500 dual antenna LNBF to feed a signal to your older Dish Network receiver(2700, 2800, 3000, 3700, 3900,4000, 4500, 4700, 4900 you won't get much, if any, channels. Stick with the older single or dual LNBFs for these receivers.

You need the newer DP301 receiver to use the new DP500 LNBF system.

I have a DP301 receiver that I take from my bedroom to use in my motorhome when we travel and I only have a single LNBF and 300 antenna to use while traveling since I only want to see the 119 satellite.

The reason is because I don't have network channels that use the 110 antenna and all the rest that use the 110 antenna are the various sales channels. All the good channels come from the 119 satellite.

Brent
eyebowl@softhome.net

cgm744

Winchester, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/03 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brenthunt,
I respectfully must disagree with you about the Dish 500 antenna and older receivers. I have Dish 500 at home with a new PVR 508 as well as 2 older 4000 receivers. I get the same channels on the 4000's that I get on the 508. If you only receive signal on Sat. 119, you miss about a third of the Dish Network programming, especially if you have the Top 150 lineup. Sat. 110 provides a significant number of channels.

Jerry Martin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Will a Direct TV LNB work w/ Dish Network?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS